Nuclearelectrica will be included in the MSCI Frontier Markets and MSCI Romania indices starting June 1, 2023
Bucharest, 31 May 2023
SN Nuclearelectrica SA announces that it will be included in the MSCI Frontier Markets and MSCI Romania indices starting June 1, 2023.
“The inclusion in the MSCI Frontier Markets and MSCI Romania indices is a result of the company’s performance, the value of its strategic projects and SNN’s efforts to grow and position itself on the capital market, the efforts to increase the liquidity of SNN’s shares which have contributed, implicitly, to the increase in value for SNN’s shareholders and potential investors” – Cosmin Ghita, CEO Nuclearelectrica
Nuclearelectrica was previously included, on August 19, 2022, in the FTSE Russell large cap category, being one of the two Romanian companies initially included in the FTSE Russell emerging market indices in 2020.
“We assume the status of a public company which implies a series of responsibilities and efforts related to the management act and we direct our actions to provide investors with predictability, stability, transparency and medium and long-term vision. We have been operating for over 26 years at the highest international standards, and we are carrying out three major strategic investment projects with significant impact in ensuring energy security and achieving Romania’s decarbonisation targets. At the same time, we aim to provide confidence and associated benefits to our investors. We are glad that Nuclearelectrica is appreciated and recognized as a strategic company, playing an essential long-term role in the new energy paradigm.” – Cosmin Ghita, CEO Nuclearelectrica
Globally, according to data published in the McKinsey analysis released in January 2022, $275 trillion, or approximately $9.2 trillion/year, represents the funds needed for physical assets in the transition period, up to 2050. Without investment in the nuclear industry, the cost of transitioning to a sustainable economy increases by $1.6 trillion, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA) report. The findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)/UN report show that nuclear power is essential to keep global warming below 1.50 C., and the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) study shows that decarbonisation targets cannot be achieved without nuclear power.
All of Nuclearelectrica’s investment projects, the Unit 1 Refurbishment Project, the Units 3 and 4 Project and the Small Modular Reactors Project, are green investments and are aimed at Romania’s energy security and achieving decarbonisation targets, consumer protection, as well as increasing value for SNN shareholders and potential investors. Nuclear power generation capacities have no CO2 emissions, are available 24/7, are not climate dependent and have competitive production costs. SNN’s investment projects are complementary and small modular reactors are also complementary with renewable sources.
About Nuclearelectrica (SNN)
The national company “Nuclearelectrica” SA is the Romanian national electricity, heat and nuclear fuel producer operating under the authority of the Ministry of Energy, with the Romanian state holding 82.49% of the shares and the other shareholders 17.50%, after the listing of the company on the stock exchange in 2013.
The CNE Cernavoda branch operates two CANDU nuclear units, which are two of the most efficient units among more than 400 nuclear power plants in the world, a nuclear fuel plant and is in the process of building an integrated fuel cycle through the acquisition of a uranium concentrate processing line to support the company’s long-term investment projects.
Nuclearelectrica plays a major role at national level, contributing more than 18% of nuclear energy to total energy production and 33% of total CO2-free energy production in Romania.